"Don’t fool yourself. English isn’t inherently superior, or easier to learn, or more sonically pleasing. Its international usage comes from forceful assimilation and legacy of colonialistic injection. It isn’t a deed that one should take pride in."
my uncle left this comment on his friend’s Facebook status, a white British man who was bragging about how easy it is to be a native English speaker when trekking to different nations. (via maarnayeri
"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book."
Jane Smiley, Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel
On This Day in 1948: Over 100 unarmed Palestinian civilians including women and children were systematically murdered when terrorist Zionist groups Irgun Zevai Leumi and Lehi entered the village of Deir Yassin near Jerusalem on April 9, 1948. Never forget their suffering and never forget that the creation of the state of Israel was faciliated by the ethnic cleansing of Palestine (which still continues today).
GIFs: Occupation 101 (2006)
important psa about buns
We raised rabbits when I was a child and my sister gave a rabbit a bath (she was 5) and it died..so heed this instruction.
I wasn’t going to reblog this, but then I realized I might save a rabbit.
This is important guys. If your rabbit gets into something gnarly and you HAVE to bathe them:
1. Fill a bowl with warm water.
2. Get a washcloth. Put it in the water. Squeeze it out until it is just damn.
3. Lightly scrub the dirty area on your bun.
4. That is it. DO NOT get your bun wet. Only slightly damp on the part that was dirty.
(Source: sfrishberg, via hblehed)
سورة الملك ،، المنجية من عذاب القبر „ ♥
ما رح تاخد من وقتكم 5 دقائق !
ضيع 5 دقايق من وقتك على شان القرآن
انها المنجية من عذاب القبر „ ♥
(Source: maherx93, via dalal-sa3d)
SOUTH AFRICA, Paarl : Anti-apartheid leader and African National Congress (ANC) member Nelson Mandela (C, L) and his wife Winnie raise fists upon Mandela’s release from Victor Verster prison on February 11, 1990 in Paarl. AFP PHOTO ALEXANDER JOE
One picture is worth a thousand words
Mariam “Al-Astrolabiya” Al-Ijliya: Why she kicks ass
- She lived in the tenth century in Aleppo, Syria and was a famous scientist who designed and constructed astrolabes.
- Astrolabes were global positioning instruments that determine the position of the sun and planets, so they were used in the fields of astronomy, astrology and horoscopes. They were also used to tell time and for navigation by finding location by latitude and longitude. They were also used to find the Qibla, prayer times, and determine starting days for Ramadan and Eid.
- Mariam Al-Ijliya came from a family of engineers and manufacturers, like her father and many engineers, she was a student of a certain Bitolus, who was a well known manufacturer of astrolabes in Baghdad and she in turn became his student. Her hand-crafted designs were so intricate and innovative that she was employed by the ruler of the city, Sayf Al Dawla, from 944 AD until 967 AD.